Our Klamath Basin Water Crisis
Upholding rural Americans' rights to grow food,
own property, and caretake our wildlife and natural resources.
Cougar Management Plan: Submit Comments
ODFW welcomes review and comments on this Cougar Management Plan. You can provide comments on all or part(s) of the document. It would be helpful if you tell us which sections or pages your comments pertain to. Public comments may be submitted via email or in person at public meetings. The deadline for comments is October 31, 2005.
For immediate release Friday, August 12, 2005
Public invited to comment on proposed cougar management plan
SALEM - The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is hosting eight public meetings during the last half of August to gather comments and concerns from Oregonians about the proposed update of the state's cougar management plan.
Each meeting will begin with a presentation by ODFW staff about the history of cougars and cougar management in the state, current issues surrounding cougars, and aspects of the draft management plan. After the presentation, attendees will be invited to ask questions and voice comments about the updated plan, and discuss general concerns about cougar management in Oregon.
"The public is becoming increasingly concerned about human and pet safety where cougars are concerned, and the impact of cougars on Oregon's deer and elk populations," said Ron Anglin, ODFW Wildlife Division administrator. "These meetings will provide a good opportunity for people to be sure their concerns are heard as part of the update process."
ODFW is the agency charged with developing and implementing management plans for the state's wildlife species. The first cougar management plan was developed in 1987 and updated in 1993, noted Anglin. A copy of the proposed new plan can be found on ODFW's Web site at www.dfw.state.or.us.
The public meetings to discuss the draft plan take place at the following dates and locations. All meetings begin at 7 p.m. and last until 9 p.m.
* Thursday, Aug. 18, Corvallis: Oregon State University LaSells Stewart Center Construction and Engineering Hall, corner of Western Blvd. and 26th St.
* Monday, Aug. 22, Portland: World Forestry Center Miller Hall, 4033 SW Canyon Rd.
* Tuesday, Aug. 23, La Grande: Blue Mountain Conference Center, 404 12th St.
* Wednesday, Aug. 24, Burns: Burns Senior Center, 17 S. Alder Ave.
* Thursday, Aug. 25, Bend: National Guard Armory, 875 SW Simpson Ave.
* Monday, Aug. 29, Roseburg: Umpqua Community College Jacoby Auditorium, 1140 College Rd.
* Tuesday, Aug. 30, Medford: Jackson County Courthouse Auditorium, 10 S. Oakdale Ave.
* Wednesday, Aug. 31, Klamath Falls: Oregon State University Extension Auditorium, 3328 Vandenberg Rd.
Page Updated: Thursday May 07, 2009 09:15 AM Pacific
Copyright © klamathbasincrisis.org, 2005, All Rights Reserved